Saturday, February 25, 2012

All of a sudden, I was 26, and I was exactly who I always wanted to be.

"Father, I'm going to be 27! What am I doing with my life?!?"

That's what I shouted at my spiritual director last week. Twenty seven years old. That's what I'll be. Granted, that's more than half a year away, but I really just started to understand that I'm twenty six. I spent the better part of January and February feeling sorry for myself. I was awfully busy comparing myself to others, being jealous of them, and beating myself up for not being more like them. What a waste of time! I was completely miserable over it and took a downward spiral which turned into me walking around everywhere with a dark cloud over my head. I was short and cranky with almost everyone, because I wasn't happy with myself.

Until Jesus intervened.  He reminded me of His love. It's enough. His love is enough. He is the source and only cause of my joy. He listens to the pain, holds you tight, and has the remedy. And then I realized that I was going to be twenty seven and I have a relationship with the Lord. I know Jesus. I pray. He loves me. It's like in a way I'm everything to Him. So, twenty seven doesn't seem so scary. And twenty six, not married, waiting tables, and still somewhat financially dependent on my parents is not only "not that bad" it's perfectly wonderful, because it's right where He wants me to be. I can face all of it with joy because He has heard all my prayers and brought me to who I am now, exactly who I always wanted to be. Being His.

1 comment: